Even if you’re not obsessed with health and fitness, you are probably aware of the foods that everyone is supposed to avoid – like soft drinks, processed foods, and sugary or salty snacks. However, there are some foods in particular that are particularly harmful to us as we age.
Here are seven foods you should never eat after age 50 (and a couple of drinks!), and why you should avoid them:
- Soft Drinks. Whether they are normal or diet sodas, soft drinks are very unhealthy. Studies have found these beverages to link to obesity, depression, and even higher risk of heart attack and stroke. When you pass the age of 50, you should already be watching your blood pressure to keep it at healthy levels, not encouraging it to spike by guzzling a Diet Coke at lunch every day!
- Deli Meats. While a deli sandwich is a classic snack or lunchtime meal as we grow up, there are risks associated with daily sando dining. In 2011, the American Institute for Cancer Research reported that eating processed meats on a daily basis can increase a person’s risk of colorectal cancer by 36-72 percent (depending on amounts consumed). If you do eat deli meats, check the ingredients and food label to ensure there are no nitrites, nitrates, or additives in your meat.
- As you probably already know, a diet that is high in sodium is harmful to your blood pressure levels, and can therefore increase your risk of kidney and heart disease and stroke.
- Beyond avoiding the highly-processed sweet treats like candy bars, you should take care to stay away from all sugars as you age. Research has shown that there may be a relationship between diets with a minimal consumption of sugar and a longer life span. In addition, lots of sugar in your food can cause your skin to look older than it is, and contribute to other symptoms of aging.
- Bag-Steamed Veggies. I know the appeal – it’s been a long day at work, and it’s oh-so-easy (and seemingly health-conscious) to microwave a bag of veggies to eat alongside your rotisserie chicken. However, those steam-in-the-bag green beans may be hurting your health by drawing some substances from the plastic bag and into your food: bisphenol-A (BPA) and phthalates. These substances mimic the hormones in your body in a negative way to influence your health.
- One of the more common effects of aging, and popular problems that those of us over age 50 encounter is arthritis. Unfortunately for the bacon-lovers out there, this flavorful item aggravates joint pain and arthritis because its omega-6 fatty acids cause inflammation (while omega-3 fatty acids in items such as salmon can combat it).
- While regularly drinking a glass of wine with dinner is recommended for several health benefits, beyond-moderate alcohol consumption (greater than seven drinks per week) on a consistent basis is harmful to your heart and liver, which are two organs you definitely need to keep healthy as you age.
Featured photo source: Pixabay.com