Fit After Fifty has looked at many fabulous reasons to exercise. We’ve also been realistic about the potential roadblocks many of us confront on our path towards a healthy lifestyle.
Today, let’s just focus on two important motivators: being sexy and smart. You don’t have to choose between sexy or smart, you can have BOTH. Regular exercise makes you smarter and when you are smarter (and fit), you are sexy!
You know the old saying, “Use it or lose it”? Well that applies to your brain, which benefits greatly from regular exercise. An increased heart rate pumps more oxygen to the brain and stimulates growth of new neuronal connection and brain cells as well as increasing cognitive functions and improving moods. In other words, regular exercise not only keeps us smart, it can make us smarter.
A recent study in the Journal of Aging Research showed that a person’s diminishing memory, muddled thinking, and risk of developing Alzheimer’s’ were greatly reduced with regular exercise. Cardio exercise and weight training will each yield different but important benefits. These are even more important reasons to include both in your daily healthy lifestyle. Click here to read about the differences in the cognitive benefits from walking versus weight training.
Regular exercise also improves your sex life. Being more fit and healthy understandably makes us feel sexier and more attractive, but specific exercises will actually improve your flexibility and stamina in the bedroom.
So, to get a jump start on that smart and sexy you, here are some quick changes you can make in your day and week to improve your brain function and love life at the same time.
• Get your heart rate up with a brisk walk or any other aerobic exercise 30 minutes a day.
• Dust off your bike and go for a spin.
• Move (and stretch) your hips!
• Try out a new yoga or Pilates class at your local community center or gym. (Or in the comfort of your own home. Free yoga videos available at: http://myfreeyoga.com/ and http://www.doyogawithme.com/yoga_classes)
• Just when your brain hits the mid afternoon wall, get up and stretch, walk,jog in place…you get the gist!
• Get an exercise ball and work on your core.
• Bring out your inner cowboy/cowgirl with some line dancing!
• Get some dumbbells or resistance bands and do 20 minutes of weight training. The Internet has endless ideas of strength building exercises, but here are just a couple: http://tinyurl.com/krjpgg9
• Do your Kegels! (for men http://tinyurl.com/kzs8v5q for women: http://tinyurl.com/yvk2s4)
• Learn to do the cobbler’s pose: http://tinyurl.com/lxv72kj.
Exercise is often the most enjoyable with your partner! Take a dance class, tennis lesson, or go on a local hike. Just enjoying a healthy lifestyle together will ignite some romance and you both will be sexy and smart…together.