Earth Day is here. People across the world are getting out in their gardens, volunteering in their communities, and working to make our planet a better place. We suggest you take your fitness regimen outside for Earth Day, and enjoy the beautiful place in which you live.
“We’re spoiled here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Though we have quite the amount of grey-ish days and drizzle, when the sun graces us with its presence, it’s pretty hard to beat. Today, I’m planning to get outside to hit some golf balls. Yes, there’s a 70% chance of rain, but I don’t think I’ll melt. What are your plans for Earth Day?” – Tony
Here are some fun exercises and ideas for Earth Day:
- Go Hiking. Gather some friends or family, trail mix, sturdy shoes and plenty of water, and go to your local trailhead for some hiking. As you go, you can enjoy beautiful natural scenery, breathe the fresh, clean air, and appreciate the rustic environment. If you live in an area without hills or mountains for hiking, go on a nature power-walk instead.
- Go Eco-Running. For Earth Day, ditch the treadmill and head outside for a run or walk around your neighborhood or town. Make it an eco-run or walk by bringing a garbage bag along to pick up trash along the way – get your friends and neighbors involved to make it a health- and eco-conscious community event.
- Go Swimming. If the weather is warm enough where you live, head to a nearby lake, coastal beach, or outdoor pool for some swimming. Or, try your hand at paddleboarding for a fun upper-body workout.
- Go on Wheels. Dust off your bicycle or pull out your rollerblades (in-line skates) for an energetic ride. Both activities engage a lot of muscles and exercise your cardiovascular system for a healthy, outdoor workout. Be sure to wear a helmet and other protective gear.
- Go Volunteer. Many communities and neighborhoods across the U.S. have scheduled Earth Day activities and volunteer opportunities. Go join in, but insert fitness focus: If you are planting trees, do lunges as you carry the trees. If you’re helping to clean up trash, speed walk from place to place.
Whatever your exercise routine today consists of, do it outside! Head to a local park with your yoga mat to do your yoga or pilates for the day, and use park benches for your calisthenics (sit-ups, lunges, etc.).
How are you celebrating Earth Day and personal health? Share it with us!