You’re doing it! You’re putting in some serious workout time, staying balanced in strength training and cardio as well as focusing on your healthy diet. But are you like me, when sometimes during the last 20 minutes of my workout, I run out of gas or I’m so stark raving crazy-hungry at the end that I could eat anything and everything? Here are some pre-and post work out ideas for simple snacks that not only give you the energy needed for an optimum workout, but will also support your weight loss, nutritional balance and optimum health:
- Oatmeal: Start your day with this power-packed slow release gold mine and you will burn more fat since slow release carbohydrates don’t spike your blood sugar. Top this with fresh or dried fruit and chopped almonds for more power-packed energy.
- Eggs: Not only high in protein, but eggs leave you feeling fuller longer and support muscle gain. Take a hard-boiled egg in your gym duffel and it’s ready at the end of your workout.
- Almonds: A 2-ounce serving of almonds requires chewing and leaves you feeling satisfied. Chewing more causes a greater fat release from the almonds, triggering the hormones that curb hunger and give you much needed energy for your workout.
- Apples: With only 95 calories, this instant carb, energy producing gem is packed with fiber and phytonutrients to regulate your blood sugar as well as having a positive impact on digestive bacteria. Add some almond butter for dipping and you have some great protein and healthy fats.
- Energy bar: this old standby is a great option to carry in your bag. Just be sure to opt for one that is higher in protein and uses the most natural of ingredients as well as a low to no processed sugar count.
So the next time you’re ready workout, be sure to have some options ready for both before and after your workout. This will ensure that you don’t negate your hard work with a desperate grab for not so heathy snacks.
Featured photo source: Pixabay.com