Diminishing bone density, fading agility, and joint degeneration are common problems for most of us as we age. Some ways to combat these issues are consistent exercise and medicinal/prescription treatments, but another effective method of treatment is spinal adjustments from a licensed and certified chiropractor.
While chiropractic adjustments are advantageous for individuals of any age, there are dozens of benefits of chiropractic care as we age, in particular. Here are some of the top most notable reasons to receive regular chiropractic adjustments as part of your health care to combat the effects of aging…
- Relief from pain. Spinal related conditions such as abnormalities, disorders, and problems with the surrounding soft tissues are relieved from chiropractic adjustments, thus relieving most (if not all) pain. The spine has a profound affect on the entire central nervous system, so in many cases, getting it into proper alignment will improve function and reduce pain in other areas.
- Enhanced movement, balance, and coordination. Chiropractic care has been shown to help to improve balance and coordination through stimulation in the joint receptors (called mechanoreceptors) in your cervical spine. Aging often impairs your body awareness through the loss of proprioception (which is a result of defects to the mechanoreceptors). Chiropractic adjustments help to restore partial or full joint receptor functioning to enhance balance and coordination, while loosening the joints connected to the spine to improve movement and range of motion. Therefore, it also helps to reduce the risk of falling.
- Reduced degeneration of the joints. When your spine is misaligned (also called ‘subluxated’), the spine and its joints will wear out prematurely. Chiropractic care helps to keep the spine in alignment, its joints functioning normally, and slows down the degenerative process to natural rates.
- Improved health and wellbeing. Fit After Fifty is a movement that is dedicated to improving peoples’ lives through fitness, and consistent chiropractic care helps to support this effort in a big way. An aligned spine can help you feel better and enjoy a more active lifestyle, while reducing pain, increasing your energy and even helping you sleep better.
- Increased independence. Arthritis and reduced ability for movement are two strong reasons why many seniors prematurely move into assisted living facilities or nursing homes. Since chiropractic care addresses both of these issues, consistent treatments may help to keep you out of the nursing home and independent for longer.
Featured photo source: Pixabay.com