Everyone’s calendar is full with holiday celebration work parties, family gatherings and neighborhood cookie exchanges all can add to our schedules, but also take away from our fitness plan. Take some action steps now so that you can sty on track to your fitness goals even through the holidays.
- Stay on your routine. You can still enjoy that holiday party but make time to get your workout in beforehand. It is ok to show up a bit late and you will feel better knowing you still took care of your health.
- Write up your fitness goals and plan and post it on the fridge or some place you are likely to see it daily. This is a great way to remind yourself why you do what you do and to keep you on track.
- Keep your gym bag stocked and in your car. You will be less likely to skip your workout if everything is ready to go.
- Plan ahead and prep ahead. Food planning and prepping the night before will go a long way in staying on your nutrition regime and less likely to indulge. You will feel better for it.
- Sneak in short, full body workouts on those days when you just know you can’t do the full thing. There are countless options for you on YouTube, from full on cardio, yoga, and resistance workouts.
- Shop online. This will not only save you hours that normally would eat into your workout time, but saves you money in gas and temptation to go over your budget.
- Eat lean. Don’t depend on what others bring to the party, so you be the one with a platter of lean meats and fresh veggies. If you are going to a catered event, remind yourself to serve yourself the healthy options first. Remember, this is your choice, for YOU!
- As they say, drink Champagne and dance the night away! Champagne has fewer calories and you can burn more dancing than you would standing and eating.
- Allow yourself a bit of a treat here and there, but keep it to a minimum. Total deprivation often leads to a fail or a complete falling off the wagon.
- Take the stairs. Or park far away and power walk to your destination.
- Stay hydrated. Water boosts your metabolism and fills you up in addition to all the other health benefits. Drink a bottle before heading into a party and keep extras in your car.
- Sign up for a holiday fun run or other fitness fundraiser. It will help keep you on track and accountable. Encourage family members and co-workers to do the same and your team approach is bound to be a win-win for everyone.
Remember, it is the season to celebrate gift giving, give yourself the gift of health and you will be happier January 1st knowing you made good choices for yourself. What are some of your holiday fitness strategies to battle temptation?
Featured photo source.